Monday, November 07, 2011

The Creation of MixedKennelClub - the Idea

Today is November 7th, 2011. It has been 10 days since I started to create my website. Today I decided to record this process. I will post this blog after I launch the website. I am writing in English because I will also post in English on the website.

Ten days ago, I was working on another startup project, which my wife, her retired boss and husband (who are also my friends) will collaborate to create. And I was, of course, taking care of the IT part. Basically, I wanted to use JavaScript and HTML5 canvas to process an image automatically, which will be further transferred to product for sale. But after I had worked for days on it, I felt the potential for automatic processing had come to a dead end, and that manual processing would be inevitable.

Then I chatted with a college classmate online, who told me that he had developed a Windows Phone App and earned $120 per month from it. In a previous conversation with him, I said I wanted to develop an Android App but I couldn't come up with any sound app idea. Well, he did, and I am happy for him that he is even making money from it.

This inspired me, or more accurately, stimulated me. I talked to my wife and felt that the current project between us and our friends was beyond my current capability, and I first need to work on a simpler project, in which earning money is not priority. Therefore, I dropped the project with my wife and our friends, which is still possible but the part, involving transferring from one medium to the product, is no longer my responsibility.

Time for more brainstorming on what this simpler project might be through which I can learn. Fortunately, my new idea came within hours. With this new idea, I believe a website instead of a mobile phone app is more suitable. The mobile app can be an extension after the website is functioning. Keeping in mind that making money is not my goal for this project, I really wanted to create something useful; and I will also put some ads on it to hopefully compensate me for the expense of web hosting. I searched the Internet and did not find a similar website. Even if there had been a similar website, I think the project is still doable. Therefore, I made up my mind to create this website. By the way, I am currently in the final year of my PhD program. Since I have also made up my mind to leave academia, creating this website will be definitely helpful for my industrial professional career.

My goal is clear and simple: to provide information about mixed breed dogs. Of course, my lovely Shiba Inu cross Havanese named Ichiro inspired me. There is a ton of information on pure breed dogs, and many organizations representing pure breed dogs such as FCI, AKC, CKC, KC, etc. There is a lot less information on mixed breed dogs. One site, www.dogbreedinfo.com provides a list of mixed breed dogs, but it is not complete (there is no Shiba Inu cross Havanese) and it is Web 1.0. This of course means there is no way I can add my Ichiro's cross breed of Shiba Inu cross Havanese to it. This inspired me to create a UGC (user-generated content) Web 2.0 (oh gosh, geek comes!). Okay in plain English: I want everyone who has a mixed breed dog to put their dog on the site and then to give some information, and share their thoughts. My motivation is to provide anyone wanting to become the owner of a mixed breed dog to have a place to go to learn about the types of mixed breed dogs they are considering, even as they could do for a pure breed dog. I want everyone to have a place to go that provides them with the research they need for them to make an informed choice before getting a mixed breed dog. This will allow them to be better prepared to understand and love their future baby.

My website's name: MixedKennelClub.

No comments: